Growth Rate Problem

Things that aren't right, that are in the queue to be fixed... along with workarounds.
RaySammartino

Growth Rate Problem

Post by RaySammartino » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:38 am

Just entered the following:
725,000 (CHS) PV
850,000 FV
5 N
and get:
i = "i unknown, PMT is zero"

I Should get i = 3.2324 (I get this on my "real" calc)
whats wrong?
I have cleared all registers and also have tried entering "0" into PMT, but still getting same error message. I swear this worked earlier!
Did something change due to the 2.02 apple update?

-Ray S

theDev

Re: Growth Rate Problem

Post by theDev » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Ray:

I hate to say it but this is my fault -- my error checking is too aggressive in v1.0.1 and (accidently) prohibits problems where PMT=0. I have an update that has been queued at Apple that will address the PMT=0 problem but as I look at this class of problem from a more general mathematical perspective I fear I have to look even deeper. My testing concentrated on the examples published in the manual but did not focus on the more general class of problems solved by the 12. "Conventional" stuff I do well, my solutions are based on published equations. But the original 12 went far beyond that -- I am looking into the issue and will have a solution shortly.

RaySammartino

Post by RaySammartino » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:02 am

Thanks, I will await the new release. Hope Apple gets it out soon!

FredClarke

Post by FredClarke » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:29 am

Just tried the growth rate problem to see if fixed. I did not get an error message but my screen contracted, shifting upper right, and my calculator froze. Would obviously love to have growth rate calculation ability but, for now, would like to know how to avoid the freezing. Thanks.

theDev

Post by theDev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 am

Good Morning Fred...

I tried the growth problem and everything went find, since others have not reported it as a problem I believe it to be fixed.

Obviously though, you may have a different issue. Could you please try a couple of things for me?

First, confirm that you have the latest release. You do this by launching the program, and in the far right just under the display it should say (r)v1.3.2 or (r)v2.3.2. If you do not have this release, it is available on the App Store in the normal fashion. If you need assistance I'll be glad to help!

Second, after you confirm that you do have the latest version, power the phone off by pressing and holding the "go to sleep" button on the top edge of the phone until a little "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide and wait for the phone to go dark. Then power it back on by pressing and holding that same button until the Apple logo appears.

Please write back to let me know how you are doing with the above. Crashes are exceptionally rare (yours is the first I've heard since last fall, but that doesn't mean it never crashes...) so you having crashing problems is concerning to me.

Thanks

Kim