Minor issue with Enter key

Things that aren't right, that are in the queue to be fixed... along with workarounds.
Billf

Minor issue with Enter key

Post by Billf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Pressing the Enter key should suppress the automatic stack lift that normally occurs whenever the PI or RCL keys as pressed immediately after the Enter key is pressed. For example, the following sequence:

1 [Enter] 2 [Enter] 3 [Enter] [PI]

should leave the stack looking like this:

T = 1
Z = 2
Y = 3
X = 3.14159...

however the stack actually looks like this:

T = 2
Z = 3
Y = 3
X = 3.14159...

The [STO], [RCL], [CLX], and [2 PI] buttons have a similar issue - i.e. the stack is lifted when these keys are pressed after the Enter key is pressed when it should not be lifted.

Some of the formulas I use involve adding multiple terms. If one of the intermediate terms involves 2 * PI (for example) and I accidentally use the [Enter] key after entering the "2", the stack will be left in an unexpected state.

theDev

Re: Minor issue with Enter key

Post by theDev » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Billf:

Thanks, I can sure fix that. The stack lift was modeled after the 12C, which only excludes stack lift based on key presses prior to starting digit entry but I can sure see your point.

Do you have any other suggestions? What might be nice to have on the currently blank keys?

FWIW, there's a built-in 2*PI button... I needed that often in EE work!

Kim

Billf

Re: Minor issue with Enter key

Post by Billf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

I have been looking for a real HP12c to verify this but unfortunately my realtor friends have given it up in favor of an iPhone app. My trusty HP55 works this way as well. I would be surprized if the HP12c worked differently than the HP55

The following key strokes store the value 789 in register 6 and then load the stack

789 [STO] 6 1 [ENTER] 2 [ENTER] 3 [ENTER] [RCL] 6

On the Calc 12 Sci

T = 2
Z = 3
Y = 3
X = 789

On the HP55

T = 1
Z = 2
Y = 3
X = 789

I realize that the last [ENTER] key is unnecessary. The problem is that my fingers haven't read the manual yet.

My fingers have a similar problem with the 2*PI key -- That is a great idea however when my fingers are rapidly calculating, they sometimes forget that this key is there.